Illegal protest: withdraw Fashola’s SAN, NANS tells committee

The National Association of Nigerian Students has called for the revocation of the title of Senior Advocate of Nigeria of the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola.

This was in response to comments made by the minister earlier on Wednesday in Abuja, where he described the blocking of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway by the protesting students as illegal.

The PUNCH reports that NANS had started a protest against the traffic-laden Lagos-Ibadan Expressway since Tuesday, demanding that the federal government resolve the ongoing strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities so that students can resume academic activities.

NANS, in a statement sent to: The PUNCH Late Wednesday, signed by the National Public Relations Officer, Giwa Temitope, requested the Legal Practitioners Privileges Committee in Nigeria to revoke Fashola’s SAN title.

“We have been informed that the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, has openly said: ‘The right to protest is a very well protected right in our constitution, but it does not include the right to inflict pain and discomfort on others. . people. And so, while the protests can go on, they must refrain from blocking the road to carry out their protests. That in itself is a violation of the law.

“The statement above shows that the minister is mired in a major contradiction in terms of what the law says. He tries to downplay a very important issue by watering down the law. Aside from the obvious nature of the Section 2 letters of the Constitution on Fundamental Human Rights, Fashola should tell us how a protest is declared to “inflict pain and discomfort on other people?”

As for NANS, Fashola has long shown that he does not understand the laws of Nigeria. The same person, who has a SAN title to his name, went on to destroy evidence about the very pivotal Lekki massacre. Nigerian youth no longer respect Fashola and his fake ideals. The best thing is for the minister to go back to the administration of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (Retd.) to pay ASUU now, instead of calling for the suspension of the protest we started.

“If Fashola continues to attack our protests, we would start preparing to prevent another attack on our movement,” NANS said.

NANS further claimed, “We know that the same Fashola has contacted government agents and thugs to attack us. We would like to point out that if anything happens to our students in any part of the country, we will hold Minister Fashola accountable.”

The student body also called on the ASUU department of the University of Benin to “start the process of revocation of Fashola’s law degree. Just as we reiterate our demand for an early meeting with the ASUU leadership, we need constructive synergy to win this battle.”

“Finally, we apologize to all our parents and friends affected by these protests. We call on us to be condemned for doing so, as Nigeria’s education is at stake at all levels. And as you know, a nation that doesn’t care about education intends to pay heavily for the consequences of mass ignorance.

“And we also state that there is already a compliance enforcement task force, led by a former vice president of the association, Ojo Raymond. So there will be no turning back and we will continue this fight,” the statement concluded.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*